According to Reuters, Hackers attempted to attack the World Health Organization earlier this month.

According to the head of the WHO Information Security Service, Flavio Aggio, the identity of the hackers was not disclosed and their attempt was unsuccessful. However, he stressed that hacking attempts against the World Health Organization have increased greatly since the organization began to fight the coronavirus.  

He first pointed to the attempt to infiltrate WHO systems by Alexander Urbelis, a cybersecurity expert and New York-based Blackstone Law Group lawyer who monitors illegal online activity.

Urbelis said he began monitoring the hacker team on March 13 when he noticed that they had set up a malicious¬†site¬†that mimicked the World Health Organization’s internal email system.¬†The expert said he did not know who was responsible, but two other sources said they suspected a top¬†hacker¬†group¬†known as DarkHotel, which has been conducting cyber-espionage since 2007.

When asked by Reuters about the incident, Aggio confirmed that the site identified by Urbelis was used in an attempt to steal the passwords of many employees.

In a report last week, the World Health Organization warned that hackers were pretending to be the organization in order to steal money and sensitive information from the public.

But government officials in areas such as Britain and the US have seen an increase in attacks since the coronavirus pandemic began.

At present, the motives for the attack on the World Health Organization have not been made known, but this is not the first time this has happened.

Cybersecurity¬†companies, including Romania’s Bitdefender and Moscow-based Kaspersky, said they have identified many of DarkHotel’s businesses in East Asia – an area that has been particularly affected by the coronation.¬†Specific targets included government officials and business executives in places such as¬†China, North Korea, Japan, and the United States.

1 COMMENT

Leave a Reply